Monday, October 6, 2008

Introduction

My obsession (or not) with height issues only began recently. I am not particularly short nor am I extremely unhappy with my height. I am 5’3” (160cm) and 22, pretty average for an Asian female. Admittedly, it is precisely this stereotypical agenda that spurred off my initial doubts on whether I could grow any taller.

A week ago, I typed in ‘height growth’ in the Google search box which produced millions of results on height growth, most of it dubious and predictably named e-books that probably would yield the same kind of information as any you would find on Wikipedia..

Given any scientific documentation, height growth is largely attributed to ‘nature’ and ‘nurture’, with its roots deeply set in the evolution of genetics. A large part of height prognostics is hereditary and a hodgepodge combination of environmental and cultural factors. Adult height between ethnic groups differs significantly – a Swedish male is typically 5’10.9” (180cm) tall whereas a Singaporean male averages at 5’7.8” (172cm) tall. With accreditations to nature, a person’s growth culminates at adulthood with women ordinarily reaching their peak younger than men.

What I believe is ‘nurture’ however is the ability for one to manipulate the lengthening of the epiphyseal plates. These plates are bone growth centers that disappear under the hormonal surges brought about by the completion of puberty. Vertical growth thus stops when the long bones stop lengthening, resulting in the closure of the plates. However, rumour has it that the closure of plates occur at an age as late as 24. It is therefore, speculated that it is still possible to lengthen your vertical bones through a series of intense stretching and cardiovascular exercises that will increase the HGH secretion along with an appropriate high protein / low carb diet.

I am new to this entire height growth routine and have been at it for a week now when I decided that I should document my height growth process to inform everyone else if it really works for someone my age (and I am assuming that my plates are almost closed). My knowledge is little and honestly, I am not gifted with a scientific vocabulary. Recent reads on Grow Tall Forum convinced me that an extra 1 to 2 inches is likely possible. I have also chanced upon a free 7-week guide on stretching exercises here that I have been religiously following.

This blog will document my stretches from Day 1 (I promise I will try to update at least once a day) and other information I find on the internet that might be useful to the subject.

(I am keeping my fingers crossed!)

No comments: